Tuesday 10 July 2018

NOBLE NBA GREAT IDEAS: STAMPS AND SELF-ADHESIVE


Dear Learned Friends,

I have just received a Whatsapp text from a junior colleague  I respect so much given his learnedness and civility. He is not into Cultism although his friend “uncleared” for the office of the NBA President.   This particularly respectful and respected junior is a prominent member of NBA Abuja Branch. I will not mention his good name However I seek to address his query by  this open reply for us all.

My Learned Colleague in whom am well pleased is very cordial with Lawyers generally; he wrote to me this Tuesday morning in effect that I said Arthur Obi Okafor’s email on women and young lawyers  enthralled and also Ernest Ojukwu’s proposal  on  free NBA Stamps and seal for members who pay their bar practice fees. Actually Arthur Obi Okafor made a similar proposal on free stamps but it does appear Ojukwu’s emphasis is, the NBA stamps come free and members  would  receive same digitally upon payment of BPF.  The challenge there is the stamps are meant to be self-adhesive hence digital stamps may not work.  I thank Prof Ojukwu for his great ideas moving the NBA forward via his proposal on digital stamps, a couple of days ago. 
Let us look to see who makes a proposal to implement NBA Stamps and seal at the various land registries with a view to increasing work on legal documentation for leases, assignments, mortgages etc. I did long ago indicate that the Legal Practitioners Remuneration Order  (LPRO) 1990 which specifies a charge for solicitors work is Great! Because  if you prepared a deed of assignment and the consideration is say N200Million your fee would come to say N20M or thereabout. NBA should work to protect legal jobs in addition to flushing out fake lawyers. Those who encroach on legal work are not NBA-Friendly. 

I did a few days ago also expressed gratitude  re:  Arthur Obi Okafor (SAN )’s proposal for women and young lawyers he said he would ‘genderize’ NBA committees, statutory bodies, NEC.  He also sought to reduce certain AGC fees. Additionally, he proposed to amend the NBA Constitution to bring in learned juniors between 7-9 years post-call into NEC and I did say that is great. I made NEC at a slightly younger age and was actually the youngest Lawyer of NEC 1990-1991. Thanks to NBA Presidents Priscilia Kuye and Clement Akpamgbo SAN.

With respect to Paul Usoro SAN the most senior, most  savvy of all the presidential candidates, please let me say in fairness to USORO SAN  he was  actually the first this election year to take a position on  female colleagues/ Genderizing the Bar to the  extent AWLA – Association of Women Lawyers endorsed Paul Usoro SAN months and weeks ago and right here in OurCountryNigeria internet forum, I commended Paul Usoro severally for his giant strides on Gender.

I don’t want Lawyers to keep saying I am not showcasing the good sides of other candidates because as you know the Dame of the Bar is FAIR. By the way few days ago I saw a lawyer who never fought a single battle say to Facebook readers  - referencing Amazoning NBA. You have to have professionally wrestled on your own some Titans to earn the sobriquet,  AMAZON. It is not when a male lawyer says go and slap that Gal and you land a dirty slap on her face and you return  to  report to sender, done,  instruction to slap an innocent Gal DONE!  That makes you an Amazon. YOU CAN NOT EARN THE AMAZON TITLE CHEAP. It’s alright to slap without a cause but then it would mean you are just somebody’s good girl, period.  NOT AMAZON.  
As I was saying to exemplify FAIR, I brought out positive angles of AOO and EO’s campaigns without prejudice to my candidate Usoro SAN.  We are in a professional race that brings out the BEST.
Thank you!
C N AJIE ESQ

No comments:

Post a Comment